2. Press the “Sign Up” button.
3. Fill in the “Full Name” field which can be your real name if you’d like. NOTE: This is not your Twitter name.
4. Fill in the “Username” field. This WILL BE your name on Twitter. Try something clever, memorable or something that represents who you are or what you do (for instance BobJonesIBEW245, ElectricBobJones or Bob_WEParty).
5. Supply a PASSWORD and EMAIL. If you don’t want to be bothered by Twitter emails, scroll to the bottom and uncheck the “I want the inside scoop…” box.
6. Press the CREATE MY ACCOUNT button. An email will be sent to you, asking you to confirm your account. Once you open your email and confirm, you are officially a member of the Twitter community!
Your Twitter page is located at http://twitter.com/YOURUSERNAME
Your Twitter handle is @YOURUSERNAME
Now the important stuff…
7. Tweet your first Tweet. Type in the box and press enter. You can always delete this tweet by clicking PROFILE at the top and hitting the “Delete” button next to your tweet.
You can follow as many people as you want.
9. Do some exploring. Search your favorite topics (i.e. health care, Green Bay Packers, EFCA, chocolate chip cookies) so you can learn about what’s going on with the things that interest you most. Follow your friends, favorite newspapers (@NYTimes, @WSJ) and celebrities (@leannrimes, @jimmyfallon) to get up-to-the-minute information you care about. You will find out how much knowledge is at your fingertips.
10. Don’t hesitate to send an email to me firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any question or trouble. We’ll personally make sure you can be a part of this incredible information resource.
In the next installment of HOW TO TWITTER we’ll explain what those pesky “RT” and “#hashtag” things that everyone’s typing mean, and tell you how to send messages to other users.